Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Breakfie of Champs

If you do not already know, breakfast is my favorite meal. I believe it should be enjoyed at any time of the day, because it is always delicious. This morning, I made a pretty classic breakfast: Eggs, Bacon, Hashbrowns, and Toast:




Nothin' too special about it, but I sure can tell you how I made it!

+ For the eggs (fried): Just fry an egg! Simple as that. Add some salt and pepper, and you got yourself some good eatin'.

+ For the eggs (scrambled edition): In a medium sized bowl, beat together 4 eggs (2 eggs per person), a handfull of (halved) grape tomatoes, and an equal sized handfull of chopped onions. Cook 'em all together in a fry pan like you would with normal scrambled eggs, add a bit of salt and pepper, and enjoy.

+ For the bacon: I just followed the directions on the back of the bacon bag, but I baked them as opposed to frying them. Mostly, this was to save room on the stovetop since we don't have the largest of cooking ranges, but baking bacon turns out some really nice, evenly cooked, crispy bacon. I was pleasantly surprised.

+ For the hashbrowns: I used Roundy's frozen hashbrowns, which are amazing. In a medium sized skillet, heat up about 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Not too hot, otherwise the hashbrowns will burn on the outside, and be soggy on the inside. We want a nice golden brown crust to hold it all together. To the heated oil, add 1 chopped shallot, flip it around in there for a couple minutes, and then add the hashbrowns. I used three big handfulls for two people. Flatten the hashbrowns into a thin layer, and leave 'em alone for about 8 minutes. I threw another handfull of halved grape tomatoes on top, just for fun. After the bottom is nice and golden, flip that guy over and let it cook for another 5 minutes to get a nice crust on the other side, too. The tomatoes get nice and roasted, and a little wilted, and they add a nice sweet flavor to the hashbrowns.

+ For the toast: it's just toast. Put some butter on that shit and eat it up with an egg on top. YUM

COMMENCE DELICIOSITY!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I'm really into breakfast, ESPECIALLY BACON. A+++